Marriott International started from humble beginnings. The company that began as the world’s first A&W root beer stand would, by 2016, become the largest hotel chain in the world with the acquisition of Starwood Hotels & Resorts. With over 7,500 hotels in the chain, business consumers who use Starwood Preferred Guest business credit card by American Express have many options to choose from when it comes to quality lodging.
There are a number of benefits that come with being the proud owner of an American Express Starwood Preferred Guest credit card. The rewards are a perfect marriage, evidencing what happens when a leading business credit card meets superior hospitality service. Here’s our review of AmEx SPG:
American Express SPG: Your Travel Partner
The American Express Starwood Preferred Guest card might be the best travel partner a business consumer could ask for. After all, AmEx has a long, successful history of making business cards with premium benefits, but those are not without there drawbacks. For instance, above average fees, to name one. In the following article, we will look at the AmEx SPG card, and what it offers you.
American Express Benefits
As a leading card for business consumers, American Express offers a number of benefits. Here’s a peek at what you can expect if you partner with American Express with the SPG card:
- Rewards points:points redeemable toward travel on eligible purchases.
- Bonus potential:this card offers the potential for some serious bonuses if used the right way.
- AmEx offers:access to exclusive offers only available from AmEx.
Starwood Preferred Guest Benefits
As a SPG customer, you’ll truly unlock this card’s full potential. Check out these exclusive benefits only available through an American Express relationship with Marriott International:
- Extra points: reap above average rewards when you spend with the card at qualiftying Marriott and Starwood Hotels & Resorts locations.
- Silver Elite status:as an SPG guest, you could be eligible to receive the royal treatment with complimentary Silver Elite status, terms and conditions apply.
- Free WiFi: receive free premium wifi services at eligible locations.
- Free one-night stay:per calendar year after your card anniversary.
Drawbacks and Pitfalls
A card this good isn’t without some potential drawbacks, keep reading to learn what you can find in the fine print with the Starwood Preferred Guest business credit card by AmEx:
- Potential for fees: like many elite AmEx cards, this card isn’t without fees so read before you sign to make sure you use the card to it's full value.
- Inflexible rewards:these rewards are set up for people who stay at Marriot hotels and resorts and don’t leave a lot of earning potential for spending at other establishments. If you want to make the most of your rewards, you’re tethered to Marriot resorts and hotels. That said, since Marriot owns so many chains, there’s likely one wherever you are traveling. Could be worse.
- It’s a business travel card.Well, this is a bonus if you’re a business person and a traveler. Unfortunately, if you don’t use it for business, or plan on stopping at a Marriot any time soon or you don’t travel often, period, there are better cards.
Final Thoughts: Travel Rewards and More
This is a great travel rewards card for people who plan on staying at any number of Marriott hotel or resort locations across the globe. It offers top-of-the-line travel rewards with premium benefits like the potential for exponential bonuses and Silver Elite perks. Users of this card also earn a free night stay once a year after their card anniversary, on top of points that can help them get around the globe.
However, this card is geared at business users who travel often and have a good to excellent FICO credit score. If that doesn’t sound like you, perhaps other rewards cards would make more sense. But if that IS who you are, this is a great card.