Are you looking for a great rewards card? Maybe you want one that offers points that can be redeemed after a stay at your favorite hotel or resort? If you’re a traveler with a penchant for the luxury of a Hilton stay, it may seem like the Hilton Honors Ascend American Express is the card for you. Before you sign on the line, let’s compare it against one of the best rewards cards on the market, Citi ThankYou Premier, to see which one comes out on top when you travel.
Hilton Honors Amex
You're the perfect customer for the Ascend Card if you only stay at Hilton hotels and you have a credit score greater than 700. If you travel often and spend at Hilton hotels, as well as restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations, the Ascend Card by Amex could be your best bet. This card is stronger because it offers complimentary Hilton Gold Status. This perk comes with free breakfast for Hilton guests, room upgrades, and executive lounge access. People love the Hilton Ascend Card because they can earn—and combine—a hefty amount of points for Hilton stays.
- Travel RewardsReceive 7 Points for every dollar of select purchases made with hotel or resort within the Hilton portfolio.
- Dining RewardsReceive 5 Points for every dollar of select purchases at U.S. restaurants.
- Annual FeeNone
- 75,000-point welcome bonus after you spend $1,000 in the first three months
- Receive 7X Points for every dollar of select purchases made with hotel or resort within the Hilton portfolio
- Receive 5X Points for every dollar of select purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S grocery stores and U.S. gas stations
- Receive 3X Points for all other select purchases on this Card
Citi ThankYou Premier
If you like flexibility when you travel, you're the ideal customer for the Premier Card. Curious whether Premier Card would be a good fit for you? Answer the following questions to find out:
- Do you have a credit score greater than 690?
- Do you travel often, but typically choose a hotel based on price and location rather than brand?
- Do you spend a fair amount on dining out, gas, and entertainment?
If you answered yes to the questions above, then the Premier Card may be a better fit for you because of its versatile travel and dining rewards. If you travel often but you aren't necessarily hooked on Hilton, then the Citi ThankYou Premier Card gives you options. Citi also has a broad definition of "travel." The Premier Card earns you points on every dollar spent on travel—and the category is rather broad.
The Ascend Card is a better bet for frequent travelers because of its generous bonus points
If you're a road warrior who appreciates the comfort and convenience of staying at a Hilton hotel while traveling, the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card is something you wouldn't want to leave home without. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll be able to rack up bonus points with your card in tow. That’s one big reason why this card "ascends" the competition.