Discover it Secured is better than Indigo Platinum because you can earn cash back
If you're struggling with a bad credit score you might not think there are any options for you to get a credit card. Your bad credit history is probably interfering with your ability to borrow the funds you need to do what you want in life. There are many credit cards specifically designed to help people with bad credit to improve their poor credit scores.
Very few of those cards offer cashback rewards for users. And if the card does offer any rewards, it charges you a hefty annual fee. The cash back you earn might only barely cover the fee.
The Discover it Secured card and the Indigo Platinum card are two credit card options for people with bad credit, both designed to help repair those poor credit scores.
But the big difference between the Discover it Secured card and other cards for people with bad credit, like the Indigo Platinum, is that it lets you earn cash back on your purchases—and it doesn't charge an annual fee like the Indigo Platinum does.
If you can afford a security deposit, go for the Discover it Secured
- Regular APR25.24% Variable
- Annual FeeNone
- Build a credit history with the three major credit bureaus
- Earn 2% cash back at restaurants and gas stations on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter
- Unlimited, automatic 1% cash back on all other purchases
- All of your cash back rewards are matched at the end of your first year
- This is a real credit card not a prepaid or debit card, it does require a refundable security deposit
The ability to earn cash back on purchases, quality customer service and the opportunity to upgrade to an unsecured card after some time has passed are the key reasons why the Discover it Secured is superior to the Indigo Platinum card. But if you can't afford a security deposit, then you might have no choice but to go with the Indigo Platinum card to rebuild your credit.
- Regular APR23.90% Fixed
- Annual Fee$0 - $99
- Great card for building credit.
- Your account history is reported to the three major credit bureaus in the U.S.
- Choose your card design, free of charge.
- No security deposit required.
That's really the only scenario we can think of where you'd choose the Indigo Platinum card over the Discover it Secured card. As always, you're the only one who truly understands your specific situation so be sure to think it over thoroughly before making your choice.