When you're choosing the best prepaid debit card, you're most likely looking for a card with reasonable fees, easy reloading options, and a great rewards program. If you shop at Walmart often, the Walmart MoneyCard may seem like an enticing option because customers can earn cash back rewards on all purchases made at Walmart—and those rewards might help you stretch your budget a little further. Prepaid debit cards don't require a credit check, so they're accessible even for customers with bad credit or no credit. If you’re considering this card, you aren’t going to want to miss this review!
Here’s how it works: Budget-savvy customers may find it easier to stick to a monthly spending limit—when the prepaid amount runs out, the card can't be used until it's reloaded. Unlike traditional debit cards, there are no overdraft fees. For customers who are concerned about privacy issues or identity theft, prepaid debit cards aren't linked to your bank account or personal data. There are a number of benefits to having this card, however, it is also plagued with customer complaints and bad reviews from people who weren’t happy with customer service.
Among the most significant benefits is the chance to earn points that lead to discounts on whatever you’re buying at Walmart. It also is a card with relatively low fees, and it allows access to a prepaid card with no credit check. For people who like the convenience of swiping but have limited credit options, this could be an okay avenue. That said, using this card isn’t going to do anything to help you raise your credit score, so looking into a secured credit card might be a better option.
- Deposit Amount$49, $99 or $200 refundable deposit.
- Regular APR26.99% (Variable)
- Annual FeeNone
- Great for building credit - Reports regularly to the 3 major credit bureaus.
- Increase your credit line after making your first 5 monthly payments on time.
- Refundable deposit required, $49, $99 or $200 based on your creditworthiness.
- A deposit of $49 gets you an initial credit line of $200. Larger deposits additional get a higher credit line.
- Pick your own payment method (check, online or at a local branch) and monthly due date.